

NASA EPSCoR Caucus Executive Committee Meeting Agenda

Date: June 9, 2026

Time: 4:00 p.m. Eastern and Puerto Rico, 3:00 p.m. Central, 2:00 p.m. Mountain, 1:00 p.m. Pacific, 12:00 p.m. Alaska, 10:00 a.m. Hawaii, 6:00 a.m. (+1) Guam

Part 1 ExCom business (Excom and invited participants)-60 minutes

Welcome, roll, agenda

C. Cole

Secretary's report (approval of minutes from last meeting)

P. Oemig

NASA updates

D. Berger

Discussion of NASA funding opportunities (RID and BR NOFO) ExCom / NASA

Upcoming Caucus elections ExCom / Nominating Committee

NASA EPSCoR Advocacy

L. Gilbert, L. Katz

EPSCoR / IDeA Foundation

J. Molesworth

Other business ExCom

Part 2 Open session (All)-30 minutes

Open discussion / comments and questions from the floor All

Adjourn

Chip: Welcome everyone. We have a quorum.

Paulo: Secretary's report. Notes from May 12 mtg approved. Denise moved to approve, Toni seconded, all in favor. None opposed.

Chip: Thank you Paulo. NASA EPSCoR updates. We have Matt Pearce with us today. Dave couldn't make it.

Matt: Dave is disappointed couldn't make the meeting, but I have my talking points. I'll start with the email Deputy AA action to inquiry about expiring funds and identifying what has not been allocated.

I anticipate sending you a draft in about a week for your review about the Science Seminar Series through Goddard and create a pathway to science for your teams.

RID supplement being out no timeline now.

Any questions?

Paulo: Didn't get an email on expiring funds.

Matt: I sent it to 20 or so, if you didn't get one then it looks from our end and you should be good in terms of expenditures.

Denise: Dave sent the R3 email with announcements coming out in a few weeks. Are there any concrete timelines?

Matt: Unfortunately, no. I'll follow up to find out more details.

Chip: I continue to receive queries from directors about the R3s.

Matt: Don't be afraid to reach back.

Paulo: Can I use an appendix for the RID supplement?

Matt: I would try to make it into the body of the proposal.

Chip: I don't appendices being allowed.

Matt: Yes, that's right. I'll discuss with the team that space may be limited.

Denise: For the extension I'm doing \$200K for mini grants. For the \$325K we decided to give that amount to the one project that was selected for the Basic Research. I would like to give you two budgets.

What are your thoughts on two budgets?

And chip how you are doing your science portion?

Matt: I would refrain from two budgets. Maybe use different headers within the same budget table.

Chip: We're using \$70K as "bridge funding" for competitive projects, describing the project at high level and we will ask the PI to provide a new scope of work and if it aligns it will be funded. It sorts of follow the same process as NASA has.

Denise: My concern is that I'm giving the whole \$325 to one person.

Chip: My \$70K that I quoted is direct doesn't affect F&A.

Toni: Cover page? We're not submitting through NSPIRES. What's a cover page budget? What are other requirements?

Cass: I had the same question, Toni. Dave said to create the cover page as provided in the NOFO.

Toni: On page 5 of NOFO it says "Cover Page Budget" what does this page entail?

Chip: We'll follow up with Dave to clarify that point.

Matt: I'll confirm as well.

Melanie: Just to make sure, we are not doing a year 5 and year 6 budget but one budget?

Chip: We should have two: one for year 5 and one for year 6 extension.

Denise: I'm looking at the NOFO. We're told cost share is not required and yet there is a cost share column.

Chip: It's optional.

Toni: I added a row for total amount requested.

Chip: I suspect there was meant to be a total amount row.
Elections? Leslie Aquino, Chair Nominating Committee.

Leslie: Nominating Committee: Colleen, Andy, Caitlin, and I.

Nominee for Secretary, Paulo (NM)

For Treasurer, Constance Meadors (AR)

For Executive Committee we have three for two vacancies: Sara Nelson (IA), Colleen Fava (LA), Alexander Martin (KY).

Melanie is stepping down from the Treasurer role.

Chip: Did all the nominees agree to be on the ballot?

Leslie: Yes, and I believe most of them are here now. So, if there are any changes let me know.

Toni: I'm stepping off from the committee. Enjoy my time.

Leslie: Caitlin is stepping off from the nominating committee as well.

Chip: How will you run the ballot?

Leslie: It will be a Microsoft Office form.

Chip: Will one week be enough?

Leslie: Yes

Leslee: House Appropriation continues to work through their bills. CJS keeps NASA EPSCoR at 25M. House only provides funding for SG and EPSCoR, eliminating OSTEM. On the Senate side we heard that they would fund OSTEM. We'll see what prevails. CJS bill vote is this week Senate, Collins Chairwoman and Ranking Member cannot get to an agreement. As of today, there is not an agreement; not optimistic will get to an agreement in the next month. On the authorizing side, House and Senate, NASA reauthorization, informal conferencing the bill. It's active and ongoing. Happy to answer any questions?

Chip: Other business?

I did have one item, NextGen TIM, but with the latest efforts on the RID supplemental funding, we can discuss NextGen TIM later.

Melanie: National meeting EPSCoR on Wed. meeting. Travel arrangements for Omaha?

Chip: We do have a date for a NASA EPSCoR meeting in conjunction with the national meeting in Omaha.

Cass: August 31 to Sept. 2

Matt: Morning of Sept 2, EPSCoR meeting.

Chip: I'll be sending an announcement about it.

Denise: I remember seeing something that the meeting will take 2 hours.

Chip: I thought the 2 hours would be fine.

Leslee: The July transition meeting is only for SG correct?

Chip: Yes.

Anything else, other business? Hearing none, we can move to the open session.

Any questions from the floor?

Leslie: It's a long travel for us. Will there be a virtual option for the EPSCoR Omaha meeting.

Cass: Yes, we will have the means to do that.

Chip: Any other questions from the floor?

Questions about the RID proposal we're all working on?

Melanie: I put a baby AI project into the RID, but I acknowledged in the proposal that we can amplify it the project if funded.

Chip: So, if both get funded you can expand?

Melanie: Yes.

Any other questions? You should receive a ballot soon, please vote.

Meeting adjourned at 4:51 pm ET.