

NASA EPSCoR Caucus Executive Committee Meeting Agenda

Date: April 14, 2026

Time: 4:00 p.m. Eastern and Puerto Rico, 3:00 p.m. Central, 2:00 p.m. Mountain, 1:00 p.m. Pacific, 12:00 p.m. Alaska, 10:00 a.m. Hawaii, 6:00 a.m. (+1) Guam

Part 1 ExCom business (Excom and invited participants)—60 minutes

Welcome, roll, agenda

C. Cole

Secretary's report (approval of minutes from last meeting)

P. Oemig

NASA updates D. Berger

Follow-up discussion of 2/28 Caucus meeting

ExCom / NASA

Upcoming Caucus elections

ExCom / Nominating Committee

NASA EPSCoR Advocacy

L. Gilbert, L. Katz

EPSCoR / IDeA Foundation

J. Molesworth

Other business

All ExCom

Part 2 Open session (All)—30 minutes

Comments and questions from the floor

All

Adjourn

Chip: Welcomed everyone. Quorum met. Artemis II incredible accomplishment. Acknowledged NASA for all their work and dedication.

Secretary's report.

Paulo: Minutes from February 10, 2026: Chip moved to approve, Shawna seconded. All in favor.

NASA Updates:

Dave: Good news, eight states in the approval stage queue for fifth year of funding. Looking at May 1 or May 7 for notifications going out. Working with NCSS for block funding approval model.

R3 FY25 are in the process of being approved. Basic Research FY26 was intended to be released mid-April but overcome with new review processes; 6 weeks delay now. Open and close in 2026. The period of performance will not start until FY27.

Competitive new funding of opportunity; next will be the RID augmentation and extension to an existing award will go out in May, I hope. Workforce development small window ~45days.

Chip: Please clarify the NOFO release date of 6 weeks.

Dave: Yes, 6 weeks from today. But it won't change the 60-day submission period once it's out.

Denise: Do you know when the NSSC will announce the R3 awards (is your crystal ball too cloudy to say?) I have faculty waiting to see if they are funded.

Dave: No. But anything before July 1 will go out after September 30.

Today's closes NSF RII Fellows. High participation. We were able to get to a 80-90% range of matches with collaborators.

We are all doing all the onboardings Ashley Bishop working with NASA EPSCoR for all badging requirements. Dave and Ashley want to make sure all the onboarding is completed on time. President's budget zeroed out OSTEM. Sixth time this happens. But I'm optimistic about EPSCoR.

Matt: The research topic areas posted in the chat are the same as the ones you've already received. We updated our website.

Sharing updated EPSCoR Research Focus Areas <https://www.nasa.gov/learning-resources/established-program-to-stimulate-competitive-research/research-focus-areas/>

Chip: Research areas only for the Basic Research NOFO?

Dave: Yes, for now. But we intend to add to this site and make a living document for all our NASA EPSCoR programs.

Shawna: Do you anticipate having another NOFO in the fall for FY27.

Dave: Matt and I are disappointed with the 6-week delay. However, it was always our intend to get back to the regular cadence. Maybe pull down the CAN and distribute the funds through the augmentation. Use incremental funding for another augmentation instead but this is very speculative at this time.

ISS is about a month behind R3. ISS selections in July timeframe with kickoff in August. ISS will follow R3s.

Toni: RID augmentation, targeted toward a specific area?

Dave: I think we're going to have some focus areas such as workforce development area. But overall, a general call. Still working on finalizing all the requirements. Not a zero sum, but if you have additional funding what will you do type of thinking.

Toni: Amount?

Dave: Augmentation 200K plus an extension for 200K.

Colleen: RID augmentation and 6th year extension will be released in May with a 45-day turnaround for proposals?

Chip: The augmentation to the RID will it require a workforce development?

Dave: TBD really, I need to get an approval from Elaine and Torry.

Chip: The reason I ask is because the 45-day window may pose a challenge for a workforce development requirement for the augmentation.

Dave: Not intending to change the cost share requirement.

Chip: Any questions from the ExCom for Dave? Questions from the floor?

Eric: Tradeoff of NOFO for RID. Question, basic research guide letters of recommendations the GCAM does include letters of endorsement are not accepted, but letters of collaboration yes. Are letters of endorsement discouraged?

Dave: Letters of support and commitment → NASA letters. Essential human collaborators and facilities. Letters of endorsement per the GCAM are not needed, not part of the review, but if they show they will not be disqualifying.

Jacob: Level of work required for Dave and your team.

Dave: Yes, our RID and basic research per dollar spend are much easier to put out solicitations. The R3s and NASA EPSCoR Fellow require more work per cycle. We would love input from now through June. But because something is hard it doesn't make it worth pursuing. I would like to work with NSSC in the fall for the spring Fellows process.

Jacob: Matching with subject matter experts at NASA has always been a challenge.

Dave: Creating portals and links to make those matching more feasible.

Matt: I have a lot of ideas on the drawing board, such as creating a seminar series for field centers. Not as a requirement. If you have any ideas, I welcome your input.

Chip: Thank you both.

TIMs. Topic areas. Set up virtual TIMs. But first what kind of interesting areas you would like to see.

Denise: What did we decide?

Chip: We had a consensus of sorts; we will take control over the TIMs. We would organize the topic areas per our jurisdictions and then I would coordinate with Dave. Researchers will give flash talks. I'm happy to start a draft with ideas.

Denise: I think Colleen should be invited into this discussion as an advisor. For us Earth Systems Science.

Colleen: We did two different types. TIMs by centers and researchers from jurisdictions gave flash talks and Center Directors talk about the most prevalent topics at the centers. And panels with researchers. Both are useful. NASA can get a feel of what's going on at the jurisdiction and NASA centers discussing their work.

Denise: The other topic area of habits for the Moon.

Colleen: Extreme environments as a general topic.

Chip: Excellent topics. I would add AI.

Shawna: Rotating topics is helpful.

Chip: Pick one, make it somehow broad and then develop an event with flash talks as a pilot.

Shawna: Bandwidth you and Dave leading the effort?

Dave: As long as the topics are broad, I don't see a problem. We will need time to secure the speakers. Glad to connect with centers chief technologists.

Chip: I'm interested in the research that goes on in the trenches.

Matt: Next Thursday, I'm connecting with high school and college educators. We come together monthly, five of our scientists all focused on water. I'll share the link with you, Chip. Maybe there are some ideas that come out of that. Happy to work with you.

Chip: I'll put together a Next Gen TIM one-pager. What timeframe will be reasonable? August or September?

Toni: We have a fall's directors meeting last week in August/early Sept.

Shawna: Early fall Colleen mentioned in the chat.

Chip: Any other thoughts on TIMs.

Next topic: office elections.

We have Leslee, Andy, Colleen, and Caitlin, Nominating committee? Is the committee ready to run elections. Do you have a chair? We don't have to figure this out today. It may be a good idea to have a chair. Four positions need to be elected. Melanie's term at end of June, Paulo's at end of June. And Sara, and Toni's. One nominating committee will open up at end of June, Caitlin's spot.

Colleen: Any thought on restructuring committees.

Chip: Larger discussion; amendment required per our bylaws.

Colleen: From my perspective it's weird that the nominating committee sits outside the ExCom.

Chip: I actually have drafted bylaws that I passed around last year. But we can revisit these.

Toni: This is off the top of my head, if the nominating committee is part of the committee, it's sort of an incestuous situation; but I'm not running again and I'm nominating Colleen, so problem solved.

Chip: We are not a large group; we can coalesce the committee. Incestuous situation?

Last agenda item: Jessica and Leslee.

Chip: I did send an update from Leslee. President's budget zeros out OSTEM, but Dave already covered it.

Any questions from the floor?

Jacob: Can you share Leslee's email with the rest of the EPSCoR group.

Chip: Will do.

Colleen: The new listserv, is it working?

Chip: It's working fine, apart from missing Amy but we're fixing that.

Meeting adjourned at 5:20 pm ET.