

**NASA EPSCoR Caucus
Executive Committee Meeting
February 11, 2025
Agenda and Notes**

Date: February 11, 2025

Time: 4:00 PM Eastern, 5:00 PM Puerto Rico, 3:00 PM Central, 2:00 PM Mountain, 1:00 PM Pacific, 12:00 PM Alaska, 11:00 AM Hawaii, 7:00 AM (+1) Guam

Part 1 ExCom business (ExCom and invited participants)—60 minutes

Welcome, roll, agenda	C. Cole
Secretary's report (approval of minutes from last meeting)	P. Oemig
NASA announcements / updates	K. Loftin
TIMs survey	Cole and S. McBride
March 1, 2025 Caucus meeting—finalized agenda and registrations	C. Cole
NASA EPSCoR Advocacy	L. Gilbert / L. Katz
EPSCoR / IDeA Foundation	J. Molesworth
Other business	All
ExCom	

Part 2 Open session (All)—30 minutes

Comments and questions from the floor	All
Adjourn	

Participants (ExCom members and those who spoke only): Bernard Cole, Ellen Brennan, Shawna McBride, Denise Thorsen, Ed Duke, Laurie Katz, Leslie Aquino, Marcie Jackson, Toni Galvin, Melanie Page, Ralph Milliken, Alexandre Martin, Greg Guzik, Caitlin Milera, Gerardo Morell, Sara Nelson, Jessica Molesworth, Paulo Oemig.

NOTES:

Chip: Welcome all. Here is the agenda for today.

Paulo: Are there any corrections to the January 14 meeting notes? [None] Sara moved to approve and Denise seconded, all in favor. Meeting notes from January 14 are approved.

Chip: Do we have anyone from NASA on the call? We can come back if someone from NASA joins us.

The basic research NOFO submission deadline was extended to February 19 and there is a delay for the ISS solicitation release. Kathy indicated that the ISS solicitation will be coming down the pipe soon. They are trying to figure out how to comply with the new executive orders.

Greg: We have been working with NASA on a suborbital solicitation. I would not expect to see that until the end of the calendar year for FY 2026. A total of \$250,000 for 3 years.

Chip: Thank you, Greg. Next on the agenda is the TIM survey. I will change the name; we will call it the Spring 2025 survey. I have a draft I circulated to the ExCom. Here is a follow up on the 2023 TIM meeting. Do jurisdictions have any follow on or collaborations stemming from the 2023 TIM? What's the importance of the TIM meetings to your jurisdictions? What are the priorities for the jurisdictions from these TIMs? We are planning another TIM for KSC for the fall this year. How many investigators you may be sending from the different jurisdictions? In addition, March 1 agenda opportunity to add an item. Also, how jurisdictions are responding on the latest executive orders. Also, how people feel about the open meeting format for our ExCom.

Alexandre: I would also add questions about other TIMs not just the 2023.

Shawna: From the AMES survey, collaborations with other EPSCoR states.

Sara: That would be a good idea. Our people would like to meet and know everyone's work.

Denise: NASA hosts a number of discipline specific meetings. Faculty would benefit from these. Fluids workshops, that resulted in a large research grant for faculty who attended. Heliophysics, large task force. TIMs are good, but tend to be very broad.

Chip: I will take that up with Kathy.

Flash talk slides, fascinating, I reached out to various investigators from those slides for potential synergistic activities. I would propose to continue to create those kinds of bios, or even for those interested in attending and not making it.

Sara: Do we have dates other than the one at KSC?

Chip: No. We are going to add questions about prior TIMs and on collaborations that may have sprung out of those. Any others? Multijurisdictional collaboration.

Shawna: Sound good.

Chip: Caucus meeting, finalize registrations. I would like to send a list of participants to all the people attending. Around 50 in total, including NASA and EPSCoR/IDeA. Any concerns about sending a list of all the registrants?

Melanie: No.

Laurie: We can put the list on our website.

Chip: Agenda for March 1 Caucus meeting [shared on the screen]. I had to move a couple things on the agenda, but everything is there. Still planning on a report out from our survey. Also, time for a RID discussion in small groups. In the afternoon, NASA EPSCoR grant review process, outlook for NASA under the new administration and discussion of R3 mechanism. Any thoughts about the agenda?

Alexandre: How to evaluate success for the RID?

Chip: That's the outcome.

Toni: For the RID, how jurisdictions come up with cost-share?

Chip: Any other thoughts? Next, NASA EPSCoR advocacy.

Laurie: We had the advocacy webinar last week. I was able to send you an email with the slides and recording of the webinar. As well as a link where all the documents are. FY26 ask same as FY25, \$30 million. CR through mid-March. We had a series of injunctions and executive orders the last few weeks. Democrats don't feel like supporting any of the Republicans' agenda. During the 1st term, a shutdown lasted for a couple of weeks. This time around, it may end up being a year-long CR. Our advocacy is very important. Reach out to our Republican offices with the emphasis on workforce development in your message.

Melanie: At a meeting a senior senator made a snarky comment; 'we don't need NASA because we have SpaceX.' The person with the purse strings may not understand the research aspect of innovation. I don't know if you heard any other rumblings or have any suggestions?

Laurie: NASA OSTEM K-12 also contributes to workforce development there and impacts graduate education. Work shortage, finding individuals with the technical expertise; it's important to continue to emphasize that message.

If you need anything don't hesitate to reach out to us.

The majority of offices are not even thinking about FY26 until FY25 is finalized.

Shawna: Indirect cost, executive order from Friday, limiting NIH IDC; do you think that will apply across all agencies?

Laurie: In the Department of Education, DOGE will pull back all IES funding. I don't think any agency is safe; all it's in play.

It's very messy. Some Republican offices will push back, Alabama is a case in point. It's important to reduce duplicate cost, but needs to be done in a more thoughtful way.

NIH freeze was expanded this morning. But there is a court hearing on February 22.

Chip: Any other questions?

Toni: On a positive note, we did receive our annual RIG increment.

Denise: We received the increment and the NCE.

Chip: In Vermont we have not put on for a NCE but we're planning to. Good to hear from you received the NCE.

Ralph: Personnel funding. Re-budgeting?

Chip: Jessica

Jessica: A few things: Regarding F&A, Leslee put together a memo sent to the board and PIs. In addition, to Senators Katie Britt and Susan Collins, put a strong statement regarding the harmful impacts of these executive orders. We are considering a Dear Colleague letter. Lots of info on this, if you are interested in what the Coalition and Foundation are doing let us know.

Under the first Trump administration, 10% cut, section 224 appropriation report language bars the administration from F&A cuts. Make the point that we don't want to see these cuts.

I want to thank the NASA EPSCoR directors who came to town for our meeting. Several agencies and program officers who were supposed to be there but cancelled. NSF main meeting is in the spring, but it's now cancelled. Staff loss of up to 600 people at NSF. Lots of concerns within the federal agencies. Is EPSCoR a DEIA program? Jeffrey Mervis wrote an article looking at what DEIA is and isn't? We can send the article if you are interested. Happy to answer any questions?

Shout out to Colleen. Make noise for NASA EPSCoR. Colleen agreed to make the pins "make noise for research."

Toni: If there is a F&A reduction, it can impact our revenues.

Chip: Yes, that will be harder without a negotiated rate.

Greg: Even if you have an injunction, you still have Musk and his team and the administration may ignore the courts, what's the recourse? Congress?

Jessica: JD Vance and Musk are trying to convince Trump to ignore the courts.

Laurie: We're in uncharted waters, some of these challenges may end up at the Supreme Court. I do think saner voices will raise.

Ralph: What is this chart from? [document on screen]

Melanie: It's from COGR to understand what F&A is. Our own faculty doesn't know how it works.

Ralph: The pie charts would be problematic. When the institution portion goes up, that has to come from other areas.

Melanie: The only way to keep up the level of funding may be through tuition.

Jessica: We went through this in 2017.

Melanie: This is a reimbursement. It's not admin salary.

Jessica: In chat AAMC article [Facilities & Administrative Costs | AAMC](#)

Colleen: In chat [F&A Cost Reimbursement Materials | Council on Governmental Relations](#)

Chip: Any additional items from the ExCom? **Open session** now.

Leslie A: Concern on how to address our delegate, non-voting member; it's a Republican. How everybody is feeling about the DJI ban on drones?

Sara: We have some made in the US for educational purposes. I can send some info.

Chip: Any other comments or questions?

Meeting adjourned at 5:08 pm ET.