

**NASA EPSCoR Caucus
Executive Committee Meeting
January 14, 2025
Agenda and Notes**

Date: January 14, 2025

Time: 4:00 PM Eastern, 5:00 PM Puerto Rico, 3:00 PM Central, 2:00 PM Mountain, 1:00 PM Pacific, 12:00 PM Alaska, 11:00 AM Hawaii, 7:00 AM (+1) Guam

Part 1 ExCom business (ExCom and invited participants)—60 minutes

Welcome, roll, agenda	C. Cole
Secretary's report (approval of minutes from last meeting)	P. Oemig
NASA announcements / updates	K. Loftin
Discussion of new NASA biosketch requirements	
March 1, 2025 Caucus meeting—draft agenda, registration	C. Cole
NASA EPSCoR Advocacy	L. Gilbert / L. Katz
EPSCoR / IDeA Foundation	J. Molesworth
Other business	All ExCom

Part 2 Open session (All)—30 minutes

Comments and questions from the floor	All
---------------------------------------	-----

Adjourn

Participants: Bernard Cole, Ellen Brennan, Matthew Bernards, Brooke Graham, Candy Cordwell, Cathy Cathell, Colleen Fava, Constance Meadors, Denise Torsen, Ed Duke, Leslee Gilbert, Timothy Griffin, Laurie Katz, Leslie Aquino, Kathy Loftin, Marcie Jackson, Shawna McBride, Toni Galvin, Melanie Page, Michaela Lucas, Caitlin Milera, Angela Miller, Sara Nelson, Paulo Oemig.

NOTES:

Chip: Welcome everyone. First order of business is the approval of the minutes.

Paulo: Thank you Ellen taking the minutes last month. Are there any corrections to the December 10 meeting notes? [None] Sara moved to approve minutes; Shawna seconded it. All in favor. Minutes from the December 10 mtg. are approved.

Kathy: We are getting a lot of questions regarding the R3s and page limit on the biographies. There is a new biosketch template that supersedes the limit. The ISS was supposed to go live yesterday, but legal review it and wanted to clarify the review process. I extended the deadline by two weeks. The Better Together conference, is now is called the STEM Symposium. It's highly encouraged to attend, however there is a cap of 400 participants. Organizers are encouraging awardees to attend; the emphasis is on workforce development. Consider joining one of their webinars. We were looking at coupling the STEM Symposium with a Technical Interchange Meeting (TIM). A TIME would be an opportunity to talk to NASA about research. I talked with Torry about it. I decided to do TIM but separate from the STEM Symposium. It makes more sense to me to have it separate and not embedded within the STEM Symposium.

Melanie: Two people submitted biosketches while removing the instructions and one person submitted it and kept the instructions.

Kathy: I will look into to the NSPIRES side and see if we can do some changes.

Sara: For the basic research award, there is a two-page limit for the biosketch, so now it won't be a problem. For the R3s now the researchers are the PIs, but we found some inconsistencies in the solicitation.

Kathy: There seems to be some antiquated language there and we will update that.

Chip: There is mention of webinars related to the NOFO, particularly for the R3s.

Kathy: When I wrote the solicitation, I wrote the webinars into it, but from the business side we cannot do that. I will update that.

Chip: Sounds good. I think we can handle questions on an ad hoc way too.

Michaela: [In chat] Will EPSCoR states be allowed 1 or 2 extra people than states that are not EPSCoR? We have two programs and would appreciate being able to have at least one more person attend.

Kathy: I don't have an answer right now.

Paulo: Kathy, can you confirm that for the R3 and CAN the original bioketches will work?

Kathy: Will talk to the NSPIRES people about this.

Toni: Anything awarded after October 1 will require the new format for biosketches and current and pending support.

Ed: I personally don't know where to find the templates for the biosketch and current and pending support.

[In chat provided]: [Grants Policy and Compliance Team - NASA](https://www.nasa.gov/grants-policy-and-compliance-team/#Regulations)
<https://www.nasa.gov/grants-policy-and-compliance-team/#Regulations>

Scroll down to "Grant Forms"

Grant Forms

- [Biosketch Form](#)
- [Current and Pending Support \(CPS\) Form](#)
- [NASA Pre-Award and Post-Award Disclosure Requirements](#)

Chip: Our next topic is our March 1st meeting. The draft agenda looks good and I hope it will be acceptable to everyone. [agenda on screen]

I collected comments from many of you of what to do for the day. The biggest addition was to add a RID discussion. I thought we could do that in small groups and after lunch report out. It may make the discussion more expeditious. Alexander asked me whether the discussion can include some discussion on success measures for our RID program.

Kathy: Each year we put together a report and we take the information from your annual reports. How do we know if we are doing a good job? The easiest way to answer that, is by saying how many awards are we getting outside of NASA EPSCoR.

Chip: Yes, absolutely. And some other measures could be qualitative. Kathy on the agenda you have an hour, and that follows with the TIM item to see if we can do it at KSC. Another item is the R3 postmortem and how to operationalize it. Feedback on the down-select process. In the advocacy area another item is the outlook for the future with a new admin. And finishing at 5 pm. If we modify the agenda, I would ask that we don't go past 5 pm. Any thoughts on the agenda from the Ex-Comm.

Greg: What do you mean outlook? Elaine Ho delivered a talk a couple of years ago, it would be nice to have Elaine come and give a talk about her thoughts for the future.

Kathy: It would be good to have her, she hired me and then she left but I didn't have a chance to work with her.

Greg: I would also suggest adding Jessica Molesworth. Also, someone had put together criteria for measuring success. When I found it, I will send it to you.

Chip: Is there a motion to approve the March 1st meeting? Melanie moved, Shawna and Sara seconded the agenda, all in favor, none opposed. Draft agenda approved.

Chip: Registration is open and folded within the SG meeting registration.

Next item: Advocacy. Leslee and Laurie.

Leslee: For this 119th Congress, committees are getting organized. We will update you with that information. By end of next week, we should have full committees. Congress did not complete the FY2025 budget we are on a CR through mid-March. Also, expect conversations about FY2026 while we don't know the outcome for FY25. With the upcoming spring meeting, we also want to have a pre-meeting webinar: 2 o'clock ET on Feb. 6; we will record it. Space Grant will take the first part of the webinar and EPSCoR the last 30 min.

We are finalizing the EPSCoR packet for all the EPSCoR programs. My goal is to identify a good target for FY26 for NASA EPSCoR. Second, for the 119th Congress we have an opportunity to revisit a NASA reauthorization. Babin and Cruz have said aerospace is important. For the FY26 request, the Republicans in the House will be very budget conscient. Expect not to see large increases. The budget reconciliation process will curtail discretionary budgets. We should have an aspirational goal however. During the first term, the President's budget, eliminated OSTEM. Laurie, do you want to add anything else?

Laurie: We have a challenging year ahead of us but we also have a lot of champions.

Leslee: Chip, how do you want to go about starting a discussion on a target number? I would put the number at 30M. Current is 26M.

Denise: It seems that we have been trying to get to 30M for a few years now. I don't see why we should go higher.

Leslee: I think we have been highjacked from other NASA pressures. I have heard from the chairs that they want us to keep growing as a program.

Melanie: What is your feeling about the new NASA Administrator? Is it to our advantage?

Leslee: Elaine Ho would be a good champion; the new Administrator is an outsider coming from the commercial side. Space is enjoying a moment with this new administration. There is a lot enthusiasm on human spaceflight. EPSCoR broadly is enjoying a good moment, more than half of EPSCoR states are in Republican states.

Laurie: Colleen I saw you put a question on education. I think education is in a good position as a workforce development area.

Chip: Thank you any other questions from the Executive Committee. Next item in the agenda: Jessica M. cannot be here, but sent me an update:

First, the slates for the foundation have been filled: Colleen Fava sits on the Coalition and Chip on the Foundation. Denise you are still on until the end of the year. Danny Holland is the new communications person and Jessica asked me to share with him our news.

[[The EIF's new communications manager is Danny Holland. He is in charge of the newsletter which has started back up again. Please share articles, program highlights, content for the website with him dholland@eifdc.org.]]

Last item: Going through the archives. From a survey we did about our last TIM at Ames, I created a report but didn't get circulated. I will share it. I think the timing is still okay since we haven't had another TIM since. We might do another survey with Shawna trying to get at long-term outcomes from the last TIM; any collaboration that may have developed from that.

Chip: Any other Executive Committee members' comments?

Shawna: I was wondering if Leslee got all the information she needed it.

Leslee: I think so, it's due this Friday for me.

Chip: We open the floor now to non-Executive members' questions.

Colleen: I would ask Kathy not to go by Cass on the number limit for EPSCoR participants at the STEM Symposium. The first Better Together was the Mega PI meeting, it was reserved for two seats per Space Grant consortia, zero seats for EPSCoR. Then, as the meeting grew, they were less restrictive.

Kathy: There is no space limit, I spoke with Torry.

Colleen: At the first webinar they mentioned there will be a limit.

Kathy: Torry told me to invite as many as we can. I will ask for clarification.

Melanie: It's important to have that clarification; whether I'm going to ask a colleague to present is predicated on the actual limit. In addition to a minimum of two representatives from each space grant.

Kathy: I will bring this up with Torry

Michaela: [chat] Will we be on the hook for funding the travel for presenters from our programs / states?

Chip: Probably yes.

Leslie Aquino: [chat] Please send info via EPSCoR and not just Space Grant. Romina is SG and I am NASA EPSCoR.

Chip: I definitely will send EPSCoR info to the list.

I'm entertaining a motion to adjourn: Toni moved, Melanie seconded.

Meeting adjourned at 5:12 pm ET.

BC

Bernard Cole (External)
Organizer



EB

Ellen Brennan (External)



▼ Attendees (25)



Paulo Oemig



MB

Bernards, Matthew (... (External)



BG

Brooke Graham - ... (Unverified)



CC

Candy Cordwell (External)



CC

Cathy Cathell (Unverified)



CF

Colleen H Fava (External)



CM

Constance Meadors (Unverified)



DT

Denise Thorsen (External)



ED

Duke, Edward F. (External)



LG

Gilbert, Leslee (External)



TG

Griffin, Timothy P. (KSC-UB000...



LK

Katz, Laurie (External)



LA

LESLIE J.C. AQUINO (Unverified)



LA	LESLIE J.C. AQUINO (Unverified)	
KL	Loftin, Kathleen B. (KSC-HA01...	
MJ	Marcie Jackson (External)	
MP	Melanie Page (External)	
ML	Michaela Lucas (External)	
CM	Milera, Caitlin (External)	
AM	Miller, Angela S. (External)	
SN	Nelson, Sara D [AER E] (External)	